Before you begin, there are important factors to consider. First and foremost, the materials used to make popcorn ceilings frequently included asbestos before this was outlawed in the United States as a proven carcinogen.
While ceilings in homes being built after 1978 need to be asbestos-free, it was not uncommon for vendors to continue supplying material, asbestos or not, far into the 1980s.
If your house was built around this period, you should get your ceiling checked for asbestos before cleaning it. At the absolute least, use extra caution since asbestos particles in the air constitute a major health risk.
How Can You Clean Your Popcorn Ceiling?
When cleaning, there are some aspects of every home that are disregarded. Popcorn ceilings are seldom recalled in most routines, whether because they are difficult to reach or just difficult to clean.
They can, however, accumulate dust and can begin to look dingy with time, detracting from the overall aspect of the space. Get more details you need to know about cleaning a popcorn ceiling and making it look like new again.
Here’s how to remove dust off your popcorn ceiling, thoroughly clean it, and make it appear like new again.
Step 1: Prep the room and yourself
- Begin by preparing the space. Aside from the dust that will fall from the ceiling, bits of the “popcorn” may get loose and fall as well.
- Drop cloths or a plastic sheet should be used to cover the whole room, such as the furniture and the floor.
- You’ll need to have a vacuum or broom, a lint roller, cleaning solution spray bottles, sponges, maybe some primer, and paint.
- Finally, ensure that you are adequately protected. To protect oneself from wiping fluid and falling debris, put on a face mask, goggles, and gloves.
Step 2: Remove the dust and cobwebs
- To carefully remove any dirt and cobwebs from the ceiling’s surface, use a vacuum attached to the biggest brush. Instead, sweep the dust onto the covered floor with a soft-bristled sweeper or feather duster.
- If there are any tenacious particles stuck in the uneven surface’s grooves, try dragging a lint roller around them to scoop them up.
Step 3: Deep-clean stained areas
- External particles of water, dust, or grease can all produce stains on the ceiling. You’ll need to use a cleaning solution in these places.
- Begin by testing a small section of the ceiling to ensure that the solution is effective and does not harm the surface. Popcorn ceilings do not tolerate moisture well, so test a tiny portion of the ceiling with the cleaning fluid before tackling the entire thing.
- Mist the discolored area and softly wipe it with a cloth, then wait for several hours to see whether the stain goes out.
- If not, add additional bleach to the squeeze bottle and try again in a different area until the solution appears to be successful.
- Avoid excessively moistening the ceiling since this may cause it to crumble.
- Allow drying nightly, with air blowing to speed up the process and doors open for ventilation.
If you have to treat grease stains:
- In a spray bottle, mix one quart of warm water and one tablespoon of liquid dish soap to treat grease stains.
- Lightly spray the stain with the mixture, then lightly dab at this with a sponge, being careful not to make the ceiling too wet.
- Allow airing to dry overnight with fans blowing in the room.
Step 4: Paint over trouble spots.
Some stains may be difficult to remove using cleaning products:
- In such circumstances, try using paint to conceal the discoloration.
- Begin with a stain-blocking oil primer. Followed by two layers of smooth ceiling paint in the color of your ceiling.
Popcorn ceilings are also known as stipple ceilings, stucco ceilings, and acoustic ceilings. Spray-on paint was used to create a rough, textured appearance on these ceilings. Popcorn ceiling lumps are often formed of vermiculite, a sort of powdered mineral or polystyrene.
Popcorn ceilings might be put in your house for a variety of reasons. They are frequently less expensive to install than flat ceilings, conceal defects better, and dampen sound. Drywall repair Denver Colorado is the best service provider for such works. We will have your ceilings all new and shiny within no time. Popcorn ceilings, whether you like them or not, are fairly prevalent; therefore, cleaning them effectively is a game worth mastering.